Thursday, June 16, 2016

Changes

Well, to be completely honest I forgot that I even had a blog.

It's been over a year since I've posted. I doubt anyone's really noticed, but I'm back anyways. Ha. Hey guys.


A WHOLE lot has happened since my last post... I mean, I would hope so... It's been almost a year and a half. EEK!

Let me update you. Clearly, I came back from my mission in November 2014. I started working at Walgreens (for, like, a month), and then I landed the GREATEST job with wonderful people and an incredible company in a pediatrics office. I was there for over a year and I loved [almost] every minute of it.

Over the past year and a half I've done a whole lot of growing, and a whooooole lot of learning. I wish I could eloquently summarize all that I've been through since last January, but I don't know how. I've had to learn lessons the hard way and some of those moments have been seriously difficult, but I've let them shape me into something better. Now I know what I want for my future and there's no settling for anything less.

Anyways, after a year in pediatrics I realized it was time for another big step- pursuing my education. (Gross, I know).

At the beginning of the year I was accepted to LDS Business College, where I will be returning once again to pursue my Associates degree. Committing to a school in Salt Lake unfortunately means one thing- MOVING.

JORDAN TAKES SALT LAKE CITY (yes, again)...

Let's talk about that real quick. You might be sensing a bit of Deja Vu right now. That would be because only 4 years ago, I graduated high school and immediately moved to Utah in pursuit of the exact same thing. I was ready to be out on my own, leave the small town behind, and spread my wings in the big city. I thought I had it all figured out. I fully intended on staying, finishing my degree, and then seeing what life had to offer after that point. Well, God had another plan. I made a lot of big changes in my own life, had a desire to serve a mission, quit school, tried to save money and prepared to serve the people of California and Brazil. Just like that.

That being said, here I am 4 years later with the same objectives as my 18 year old self. This time I'm definitely better equipped for the task than I was then, so hopefully good things are coming. Spiritually I grew leaps and bounds last time I was here, and while I will always have room for improvement in that regard, I know that I have so much more to learn in this city. I know I'll be tried and tested and this whole process is going to kick my trash, but I am ready!


My dad and I road tripped all the way from Florida to Utah 2 weeks ago. It was incredibly hard to say goodbye, but I know I'll be back soon enough. Really though, all of my friends are getting married soooo I have to be there for the weddings... So many weddings.

I got a job with Intermountain Healthcare and I start on Monday, and I CANNOT WAIT. Honestly. Being unemployed in (sort of) new place 2,500 miles away from all your friends does bad, bad things to a person. I find things to occupy my time, but I have nowhere I have to be, no one to see, nothing to do...  (cue Perfectly Lonely by John Mayer. That's my life.) BUT I know I'll be running around like crazy soon and I'll be wishing for this time back.. The grass is always greener on the other side, right?


ANYWAYS, during this process, one word keeps coming to mind. REBUILD.

Rebuild. Since I've been home, I've been building up a life in Florida all by myself, and in retrospect it was actually pretty dang good. I LOVE the people I surrounded myself with. I loved my job. My church group. Friends. Our weekend taco truck runs. I was living the life. But looking back, it took a lot of time and LOTS of work to get to that point. I worked hard, played hard, and put my blood, sweat and tears into making that life.

So here I am now, with the opportunity to start fresh and REBUILD. To work and sweat and fight and pray until my life is put back together again.

I read an article a while back that was talking about stress, and he told a story about lobsters and how they grow. They are soft creatures living within an outer shell which protects them, but it does not grow with them. As they grow, the shell becomes uncomfortable and tight. It no longer fits them. When the shell becomes to small, they hide under rocks for protection, removes the original shell, and produces another- and this process repeats itself as the lobster continues to grow. This man related this story to stress, and pointed out that the only reason that the lobster hides and sheds their shell is because they become uncomfortable. These times of discomfort are merely times for growth. We grow under moments of adversity. That being said, this move has been tough. It's not all fun and wild dreams. It takes work. It's uncomfortable. In Florida, I was growing and found myself in a place where I needed to shed that smaller shell. While it's easy to forget how much time and effort went into my life there, it's so important to remember that I built it there, and I can rebuild here in Utah. This move is an opportunity for more growth. Because of this step, I know now that I have more room to grow into the person I need to be. Those things I had in Florida? I'll get that back. I'll get that and more. It's just a matter of work, patience, and trust in the Lord.

Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment