Monday, October 7, 2013

It's gonna take WORK

HEY YALL.
Has it seriously only been a week? This has been the busiest loooongest week yet. But it's been wonderful. We are working HARD. Everything we do revolves around our purpose as missionaries, which is to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them to receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the holy ghost, and enduring to the end. (wow that was hard to say... I know it better in portugues.. weird.)

ANYWAYS, so here's a recap of our week. 

Monday night (post P-day) we went to visit Annie! She's our 80 or 90-something year old investigator who has been healing from a fall at a care center.. She's about healed and can walk now and everything, so she was being discharged. Which is great for her, but she is also moving away to South Sac.. So we lost her :'( legitimately cried walking out the door. We had a GREAT last lesson with her and talked through so much. She has had a HARD life and it's so hard to see her hurting. Sister Zenger and I were saying there should be an age limit for trials.. She's been through rough stuff and she does notttt deserve the things being thrown at her in her life right now. I miss her so much! Hopefully some missionaries in South Sac will take good care of her. 

We have 2 investigators in the area, one is Larry (who has been taught everything and legitimately just needs to be baptized) and Donna, whooo we might have to turn over to the Roseville mission :((( long story. But we have been struggling hard core to find people to teach. We stay out all day long and we're talking to everyone we can, but it's still been such a struggle. I know there are people and I know we can find them, we've just got to work a little longer and a little harder, I guess.

On Tuesday we finally got to teach Sandy again! She was baptized in July and this is the first time we've been able to sit down at home with her since. She is a rock star. She's just so excited to have the gospel in her life and it shows through her eyes when she talks about it. 

The previous week we found two new investigators and we were SO PUMPED ABOUT IT.. And we went back to see them.. One of them being Janine... The one that prayed with us and told us we were confused... Well, we visited her and her neighbors that go to her church were visiting too... and it started out as a good conversation with the neighbors, then Janine came in and tried to bash for an hour... BASHING IS RIDICULOUS. DON'T DO IT OKAY. She would bring up a subject and expect us to deny it or contend or whatever, and we would just back it up and explain why we believe it and how it comes into play.. and she would just sit there quietly for a minute and think of something else. But it came down to the fact that she believes we are a cult (she told us we are a cult to our face. She was lovely.) and she pulled out anti mormon literature and all kinds of fun stuff, so we bore our testimony and told her the only way she could know if it was true or not was to read the Book of Mormon, and we smiled and got the heck OUT. She was seriously a sweet lady and we probably be friends if she didn't know what religion we were.. but hecka no, man. Not trying that again. 

The other one was a guy named Tito... he is 16 and he's a champ! We were contacting people and ended up at his house looking for someone else.. So we started talking to him, and Sister Zenger just asked him if he'd like us to teach him more about Jesus Christ... and he said YES. Totally caught me off guard. Everyone slams the door or just smiles and says "thanks but no thanks".. and he said yes. He wanted to hear. I WAS SO EXCITED. So we tried to visit again on Tuesday, and his mom answered... She was sweet.. But she said they're catholic and didn't want us confusing him.........and another one bites the dust. NOOOOOO. That was hard. Hopes crushed. But that's okay. I know there are people who are ready and really WANT to receive the gospel, we just need to keep looking.. a lot.

So I'm 99% sure that I broke my big toe like 2 months ago playing scatterball... And it hurts less as the week goes on, and then I play sports again on the next p-day.. and it hurts again.. but it's just a toe and you can't do much for it anyways, and sports are fun and it's not affecting my ability to do anything else so whateverrrrrr. I am just beating myself up out here. 

I ALMOST USED MY SPANGUESE AGAIN. We were contacting moooooore people that previous missionaries had spoken with before, and we came to this one apartment with three ADORABLE little girls who came out and talked with us for a while. Their mom only spoke spanish and she stayed inside, but I got to talk to the girls with a little portuguese/spanish mix haha. They knew english so there wasn't a lot though. I'm definitely not fluent and it takes me a while to say things sometimes, but it's so cool that I'm at least able to use principles of what I know to speak [not-so-great] spanish! I love it.

Oh hey guys, so everyone go to Youtube, or Spotify, or whatever other new technological junk is out there that I can't use any more, and look up "Tell Me Why" by Reba McEntire. Do it. Now. 
Now......TELLLLL ME WHY HAAAVEN'T I HEARD FROM YOUUUUUUU?!
A few of you have been fantastic at writing and I love it and it's my favorite. You can stop listening to this song when you please. But there are others of you who have not and it is sad because I THOUGHT WE WERE TIGHT YALL. Past YW leaders, friends by the name of Russ Osborn (yeah I know you're still out there.. Still waiting) and other friends who will remain nameless. Just know if I spent time around you or your kid (if that applies) or both it's because I love you a lot and I would love to hear from you. I'm only calling you out because I love you guys. (Russ, sorry to throw you under the bus buuuut you told me a letter was coming and uhhhhh, still waiting. CAN'T WAIT FOR IT.)  

Well it's time to go, but please enjoy some of the best quotes thus far from my lovely Utahn companion. I love her to pieces. 

Com amor, 
Sister Morrill

Week 1 QOTW:
Z: "Somebody lost some balloons!"
Me: ".....that's an airplane."
Z: "........oh. it looked like balloons."

Week 2 QOTW:
Z: "Smell that?:
Me: Ahh... Lovely
Z: Marijuana.....ew
Me: .....uh nope pretty sure that's a skunk
      [continued]
Me: "No sister, skunk and pot are very different"
Z: Pot and Marijuana are the same thing?
Me: Sure thing, Utah! :)

I love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment