Monday, July 8, 2013

Life in the SAC

Heyyyyy yallllll

I've just been in the mission field for a whole week, nbd. 

I'm gonna apologize now if this is a short letter, I'm about out of time for emails. UGHHHH.

My companion is from Texas, like Sister Shaw :') haha, her name is Sister Hale and I love her to pieces. We're serving in Sister Sirman's old stake and I'm psyyyyched. I like it here. It's a little ghetto, I love it.

We're riding bikes todo dia, cada dia.. It's ROUGH. Last Friday was our first day on bikes. We don't live in our area right now, So we have to bike 4 miles to get INTO our area, then we have to bike allllllll over to get to the other side of the area and there are hills EVERYWHERE and it's seriously rough, man. We were biking uphill BOTH WAYS (not lying, Cali is ridiculous like that) to the San Juan building for one of our investigators baptismal interviews, and one of the hills were just killer... Sister Hale was exhausted and I thought I was going to die.. She just stopped in the middle of the hill and looked at me.. and I'm like "I QUIT. NOPE. DONE. I QUIT." and we got really dramatic and she says" NO. WE ARE NOT QUITTING. WE HAVE NOT COME THIS FAR TO QUIT. ARE YOU READY? WE'RE GONNA BIKE THIS HILL, AND WE ARE GONNA MAKE IT TO SANDY'S INTERVIEW. YEAH. WE'VE GOT THIS. "We biked over 20 miles on that first day.... I wish I was exaggerating. We got home and we were soo sooooo sore.  We just DROPPED on the floor as soon as we walked in. Sister Hale almost ran over a squirrel. Itttt was hilarious. It kind of ran at her and then decided to go in front of the bike... These squirrels are MASSIVE. They're like the size of cats here. 
Yesterday we were riding bikes to a member's home for dinner, and randomly Sis Hales back tire just EXPLODED. We were stranded on the side of the road waiting for the members to pick us up... It was a rough night hahaha. Our members are the absolute best though. I love them so much. 

On 4th of July we weren't really allowed out because of craaaazies, so we had weekly planning, and then we had a zone activity that evening which consisted of 3 hours of playing scatterball... Basically I kicked the elders TRASH. Mostly.. It was a blast. 

This whole missionary work thing is hard, guys.. I knew it would be... but MAN. IT'S REALLY HARD.

Teaching in English is hard.
Not being able to practice a lot of portugues is hard.
BIKING IS HARD
Trying to help our investigators is hard
and learning how to help our ward is really, really hard.

But I love it so much.
There's this song from the Nashville Tribute Band saying "It's the hardest thing I've ever loved to do"

That's SO TRUE. I've only been here for a week and it's one of the most physically, mentally, spiritually exhausting and difficult things I've ever done. I know there's a lot more coming. But I love this work SO MUCH. I know that it's true. I know that the gospel can bring so much joy to other's lives. The work is difficult, but we are learning so much every day, and it's SO rewarding seeing the change it has on people's lives. I love it here. I'm so glad to spend this time in the Sacramento mission before I head to Brazil, whenever that may be. 

OH, HERE IS MY NEW ADDRESS

8267 Deseret Ave 
Fair Oaks, CA 95608

It's the mission office, and they forward everything to me!

Write me lots, I miss talking to you alllllll. Seriously. I miss my friends a lot haha. Let me know how everything's going! Love you all,  nao mais tempo :( 

Tchau tchau pica pau



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


1 comment:

  1. You forgot to add that last week the temperatures where up to 110*! Can't imagine biking in that weather. You didn't know you would be training for an Iron Man did you? When you come home you'll be able to do some serious long distance bike races!

    ReplyDelete